Home  Questions and Answers for Family-Based Immigration  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter

What Is the Difference between Marrying a US Citizen Abroad or in the US?

Help Desk:

What is the difference between marrying a US Citizen abroad or in the US? How long will we be apart? 


If you marry a U.S. citizen in the United States, you will still face a long waiting time to get your Green Card, but you will be able to stay together while you wait. 

If you chose to immigrate from outside the United States after your marriage abroad to a U.S. Citizen, the Green Card (immigration visa) waiting time can be shorter, ranging anywhere from a few months to a year. But you will be separated except for when when your U.S. spouse can visit you abroad. Also, you should not expect to be allowed to visit the United States while you are waiting for your Green Card. 





Greencardfamily.com - For Your Family-based Immigration Applications

Family Green Card Service