The Following-To-Join Benefits for Married Green Card Holder

Help Desk:

I got my green card one month ago based on an Employment-based Immigration the 2nd Preference. Two months before my I-485 was approved, I went back to my home country and married my girlfriend. How can I bring her into the U.S.? 


Since you were married before you became a lawful permanent resident, and your spouse did not physically accompany you to the U.S., your wife is eligible for following-to-join benefits. 

This means that you do not have to submit a separate Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for your wife, and your wife will not have to wait any extra time for a visa number to become available. You may file a Form I-824 with the USCIS and let it notify a U.S. Consulate that you are a lawful permanent resident, so that your wife can apply for an immigrant visa.


 - For Your Family-based Immigration Applications

Family Green Card Service