Can I Bring My Girlfriend to U.S. Immediately after My U.S. Citizenship?

Help Desk:

I have Green Card for 5 years already, and will apply for U.S. citizenship soon. After my U.S. citizenship approval, can I bring my girlfriend to U.S. immediately and apply for Green Card for her? What are the processes? 


As a U.S. citizen, you can file the K-1 visa for your fiancée, which will allow you to bring your fiancée to U.S., and get married within 90 days from her arrival date. At that time, you will need to sponsor your spouse for Green Card application. Your spouse will be able to remain in U.S. and be allowed to travel and work, while her case is pending at the USCIS. 

If you will marry in her country, you must first apply for her Green Card using Form I-130. Then you can apply for K-3 visa for her to get into U.S.. It should take her less than a year to get to U.S. through this route.

 - For Your Family-based Immigration Applications

© Family Green Card Service