The Three-year Bar or Ten-year Bar Requirements for a B Visa Holder

Help Desk:

Please explain the three-year bar or ten-year bar requirements for a B visa holder , if I can not keep my B visa status,  because of not changing to F-1 student visa in time. Thanks. 


The nonimmigrant visa aliens are subject to the three-year or ten-year bar, only if they fail to maintain nonimmigrant status AND the immigration official or immigration judge determines that the alien is out of status. 

Once the alien is subject to the three-year bar or ten-year bar, because of their unlawful presence in the U.S. for 180 days or one year, the alien will not be able to return to the U.S. for three years or ten years once the alien leaves the U.S. The U.S. visa posts will also deny their visa application. 

 - For Your Family-based Immigration Applications

Family Green Card Service