Receiving U.S. Permanent Resident
Status on a Conditional Basis after Marriage

Help Desk:

I have a H-1B visa and I am in the process of planning to marry a U.S. citizen. After the marriage, my husband will apply for the Green Card for me. I want to know what is the conditional Green Card? and is there any issue I need to know?  


If you have been married less than two years when you are granted lawful permanent resident status, you will receive permanent resident status on a conditional basis. You and your husband must apply together to remove the conditions on residence. 

You must apply to remove conditional status within 90 days before the 2-year anniversary of the award date of your conditional legal permanent resident status. If you fail to file during this time, you will be considered out of status as of the 2-year anniversary, and may be subject to removal from the U.S.


 - For Your Family-based Immigration Applications

Family Green Card Service